Wednesday

1-16-8

When my parents came home today, they brought a copy of the LA Times. On the front cover was two people I had known as a child and teen. Nicole Gonzalez and Sherri Hart. They were draped over a coffin. In that coffin was someone else I used to know, David Hart. We had all gone to church to together. Nicole Gonzalez is now Nicole Hart and David Hart, well... he was Army Sgt. David J. Hart killed in action on January 8, 2008. What is about tragedies that makes us interested in people that up until a week ago, I could have cared less about. Maybe it's our own sense of mortality that becomes so finite when someone we know dies. Especially someone our own age. And being of a young age makes in blindingly obvious that our time here on earth in never secure or set. Not only is that sad, but scary.

What makes this all so much worse is that Rey is now beginning to realize how limited his time is before he goes into the Navy. And while I'm supportive and want so much for him to achieve this dream of his, with this recent news of David Hart, I can't help but be scared for him. Rey's going to be gone for almost 6 years when he leaves. Which will be exactly the same amount of time we've been together. And with such a long period of time, it makes any planned future questionable. And that's scary too. I don't know what to expect. A year from now will be very different because he won't be here anymore. I don't know... I don't really like to think about it, but sometimes with such an overload of information, I can't help it.

I'll go read something light and get my mind off the subject.

No comments: