Friday

7-18-8


What sort of geek would I be if I didn’t write up a blog here about this year’s quintessential comic book movie? I will say this. It probably is better than Iron Man. But I still enjoyed Iron Man more. Anyway, the easiest way to for to say this is as follows:

Pros:
  • Jim Gordon is by far the biggest bad ass of the movie. I have always been a huge fan of Gary Oldman (top 5 favorite actors) and he does not disappoint here. *wistful expression* Man, he was so cool…
  • Yes, Heath Ledger as the Joker was amazing. But too much hype tends to make me more critical. And he was amazing; it’s just that I don’t feel that it needs to be said any more than that. People are going off on tangents that he should be awarded a post-humous Oscar and I’m sorta like, “well it was good, but was it that good?”
  • William Fichtner! As in, “Hey, it’s that white guy that’s in everything!”
  • I loved every single scene with Bruce Wayne. I would say that I wished there was more, but then people would come at me saying (read in that voice that you use for other people. You know the voice. It’s sort of deep and sounds like an intelligent retard) “Well the movie was called the Dark Knight and that’s not Bruce Wayne, is it?” At which point, I would roll my eyes and deem them unworthy of being acknowledged and would henceforth irrevocably change of my opinion of them for the worst.
  • Two Faces bad eye. It was awesome. I couldn’t stop looking at it. Well done special effects department!
  • Dogs
  • Pencil Magic Trick
  • The score actually worked really well with the movie. On its own however…
Cons
  • Too long. My stomach was twitching.
  • Rachel Dawes has to be the most unlikable good character in the history of comic books. Even after awhile, some of the more annoying characters grow on you. But her… she’s just unlikable. Too annoying, too wishy-washy, always smiles even when there's nothing remotely funny to be smiling about (ie: Katie Holmes dropping off Bruce Wayne in front of Carmine Falcones’, Maggie Gyllenhaal at a deposition where the witness is talking smack) SMILES! Too many smiles when there should be no smiling. Ugh. I’m glad that the things turned out as they did. They don’t call me Kellie Tar Pits for nothing.
  • Fake Batmans in the beginning. Too confusing.
  • Too loud of a crowd. Who woulda thunk that an 11:00am showing would’ve been sold out? And noisy as all hell?
  • What the hell was up with Gordon’s kid? Where’s Babs?! C’mon now…
Side Notes
  • Not enough Morgan Freeman
  • Why not give Bruce the letter and give him some closure. Now he won’t beat himself up about any future with her.
  • I was delighted to see Eric Roberts in this. Another fantastic reason that it was good of me to not check anything Batman related online over the last few months. Everything was a surprise.
  • On the downside, I feel like I missed a lot that probably those that religiously followed the viral marketing were more than aware of. It’s like how a lot of people felt when watching SWE3 and didn’t understand certain things. But if they had read the comics and watched the Clone Wars cartoon, they would’ve understood. Bummer.

I guess that’s about it. Overall, I’d give it a A-. The time really did kill it. It was enjoyable, just too long.

No comments: